Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alan Kingwell Liquin Study

Hello again, my friends. I have not managed to do much in the way of painting lately. Hopefully, with the changes I am considering, that will change. But more on that later. The story behind this little painting...

Liquin...every artist who has ever picked up a brush knows what it is. I knew what it was. I had never used it. I am working on the painting with the thunder and lightening I have named..."Order Up, Rain". I needed to get detail and knew I needed to use liquin with my oil paint to do it. But before I used it on this special painting and totally screw it up, I went to doing research and the internet and, of course, YouTube.  I came across this guy who had several tutorials on his page using liquin with oil paint. He got such detail using this and his paintings are so beautiful. So I decided to follow along with one of them doing something small so I could learn how to use it.

I also wanted to work on my depth and my snow. So, I killed a whole flock of birds with this one. LOL
                                                            Alan Kingwell Liquin Study
                                                                              8X10
                                                                oil on Stretched Canvas
                                                                         with liquin :)
                                                                              SOLD





2 comments:

Debra Bryant said...

Well please share what you learned! I love study paintings, and this one is wonderful. Woe to that flock of birds! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Debra!! That liquin is some pretty cool stuff! LOL. But with this painting, I leaned more about the misty stuff in the distance. I learned more about how make it a little darker as I came forward. I also learned how to do make the shadowed snow, then to highlight the snow. But the purpose was to learn the liquin. Thinning the white down to highlight the brush and make the water line. The frosty look turned out great using that stuff! Well, ya know, if you ask me! LOL